Finding a Nanny or Nanny Housekeeper can seem like an overwhelming task.
You need a person who gets along well with you and your children, and who meets your qualification(s) and experience requirements, someone who possesses the skills appropriate for your children’s age group, abilities and needs, and someone who fits with your family dynamics.
An ANA agency will talk you through the process and be there to guide and support you all the way through, from selection and matching of applicants, to sending you a CV, arranging interviews and finally to the point where you are ready to offer the job.
All the Agencies belonging to the Association of Nanny Agencies abide by our Code of Best Practice, and do their very best to provide a quality service to both families and nannies.
Follow these steps to learn more about how to best use a nanny or household staffing agency
- Only use reputable childcare agencies – our website can help you find an ANA accredited nanny agency in your local region.
- Contact the agencies to evaluate their services, and get the feel of the relationship you would have with them. All ANA approved nanny agencies should be courteous and professional. If you leave a message, they should get back to you within a reasonable amount of time. Trust your instincts!
- There are many questions that you should ask the nanny agencies, including fees and what background checks they perform on the candidates. Much of the information should already be displayed on the Agency’s website – do have a good browse for information.
- You should have an opportunity to describe your requirements, and discuss the salary on offer, to ensure that everything you ask for is realistic, and the salary is in line with market rates. Please do follow advice!
- Once you have decided which agency or agencies you would like to use, you will be asked to sign a contract agreeing their Terms & Conditions, and you will usually complete a registration form in which you detail all your requirements. (Sometimes the contract and registration form can be combined)
- There is technically no limit to the number of agencies you sign up to, but be clear and open with them from the start to avoid any doubling up on CVs, or confusion over candidates. Please remember that it can be best for both parties if you select just one agency in whom you sense you can place your trust, and work with them closely – that way they build a good understanding of you and your family, and should be able to do their job well.
- The agency will source candidates on your behalf, interview them in person (where possible), take up and verify references, perform ID checks and apply for enhanced DBS checks as appropriate.
- Your agency will then send you a selection of candidate CV’s which meet your criteria, schedule interviews with the candidates you wish to meet, and support you through the interview and recruitment process.
- Although our ANA agencies will have already verified the references, we do always recommend that you follow up on your prospective nannies references for yourself – if you are at the point of job offer, most referees will be happy to speak to you.
- Once you have chosen the nanny you would like to employ, your agency can provide you with a generic sample employment contract, along with details of suitable payroll companies who can deal with the paperwork element of employing a Nanny or Nanny Housekeeper.
- The support of your agency doesn’t stop once you have found your Nanny or Nanny Housekeeper; the ANA agency will always be happy to offer future support and guidance should you need ongoing assistance.
If you would like to find out more about hiring a nanny, or you have questions then please do not hesitate to browse around our website which has lots of information and if you need further advice or guidance, please do call us on 0203 1500 365 and we will do our best to answer any questions you may have and help to put you in touch with an ANA Nanny Agency local to you.